Upper middle back pain: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- 1436 views
The causes of upper middle back pain. The pain in the upper or middle part of the back can occur anywhere from the base and end with a neck lower part of the thorax.
Thorax 24 consists of ribs (12 per side) are attached to the long bone in the center plane of the chest — sternum. «Fixing material» for the ribs is a strong and flexible cartilage. The main objective of the chest — to protect the internal organs (such as the heart and lungs) from damage.
As is known, the ribs are mounted in a single frame, on the one hand, to the sternum, and the other — to the spine. If the nerve is at «fixing» edges shrinks or is in the area of inflammation or injured, the pain may occur along the entire length of the nerve. For example, in the arms, legs, chest or abdomen.
How to Relieve Upper Back Pain?
- In this video I show you how to easily assess your posture in 2 seconds.
- Pain and weakness in the upper back area can lead to bad posture and I’ll show you 3 exercises you can do at home to relieve tension in that area.
The upper middle back pain (called thoracic spine) includes:
- 12 vertebrae (bones, which are the main «attachment mechanism ‘chest and make up the backbone)
- The intervertebral discs (the capsule of connective tissue, soft gelatinous substance surrounding the spinal cord, which provide the flexibility of the spine and protect it from damage due to shock loads).
- The muscles and ligaments that hold the spine together.
The spinal column (spine) consists of 33 bony structures called vertebrae, which are separated from each other by soft elastic cartilaginous discs and supported by a complex system of various ligaments and muscles. The spine is divided into five sections: the cervical, thoracic (upper and middle back), lumbar (lower back) department, the sacrum (pelvic region) and coccyx (tailbone). In medical practice, the vertebrae in each slot are numbered from top to bottom. For example, C3 represents the third vertebrae in the neck, while the T6 is the sixth vertebra in the thoracic region. If you look at healthy spine «in profile», the vertebrae are positioned in it in the form of 3-slightly curved lines. This feature allows the structure of the spine to mitigate and compensate vertical and lateral loads.
Upper middle back pain does not occur as frequently as in the lower back or neck. This is because the mobility of the vertebrae in the spine relatively lower mobility of the cervical and lumbar spine. However, the data spine performs an important function: they are the backbone to the ribs, providing a stable position back and protecting vital organs, and, therefore, their state department depends on very much.
What causes pain in the upper and middle spine?
- The main causes of upper middle back pain (as well as the middle part of the back) are the following:
- Excessive stress or damage to the muscles, ligaments and discs that support your spine.
- Violation of posture.
- Pressure on the spinal nerves, relating, for example, to form a herniated disc.
- Fracture or dislocation of a vertebra.
- Osteoarthritis is caused by the collapse of cartilage located between the vertebrae.
- Myofascial pain caused by inflammation in the connective tissue or muscle.
In rare cases, the upper middle back pain of the spine can be caused by other problems. For example, gallbladder disease, cancer or infection processes.
What are the symptoms?
Common symptoms of disorders in the upper and middle back:
- Drawing, aching or sharp pain in the upper back (cervical) and middle back (thoracic).
- Gipertonus (seal) in the muscle or muscle group.
More serious symptoms, talking about the need to resort to a specialist:
- Weakness in the arms or legs.
- Numbness or tingling in the arms, legs, chest or abdomen.
- Malfunctions of the bladder or bowel (constipation or, conversely, involuntary defecation and urination).
During the initial examination, the doctor first asks about your medical condition, symptoms of the disease, and ask some questions about your work and the usual level of physical activity and stress. This is followed by a physical exam. If necessary, can be assigned to additional research, both visual (x-rays or MRI), and the laboratory (e.g., blood). This is done in order to ascertain the cause of pain, and to find its source — for example, damage to the vertebrae or herniated disc.
How is it treated?
In most cases, people with moderate upper middle back pain prefer to receive symptomatic treatment. For example, very widespread acceptance of various OTC analgesics class or NSAIDs. Often help warm or, conversely, cold compresses, and massage, physiotherapy, and appropriate physical exercise.
However, if the pain is severe and begins to interfere with normal daily activities, it is necessary to consult a doctor. More often then appointed potent prescription drugs. I must say that for the upper and middle spine surgical treatment methods are fairly rare, so in those cases, when medicines do not help, it is advisable to consult a specialist osteopath.
Methods of self-help
There are a number of recommendations to alleviate upper middle back pain, the implementation of which is quite accessible at home.
Short rest. If your back starts to «remind of its existence,» say, during sedentary work, develop the habit of taking small breaks. It does not allow abrupt transitions from a sedentary, static, posture, physical activity — to warm up slowly and carefully.
If you want to use painkillers and IVC-drugs to reduce pain and swelling.
Use a heating pad or ice. Heat can reduce muscle spasm and a cold compress or hot water bottle with ice relieves pain and swelling.
Exercises. Use exercises that help stretch and strengthen the muscles of the back, shoulder, and stomach, help to improve posture.
Cultivate good posture. Control yourself at the moment, when you are standing or sitting. Try not to slouch or slouch.
Learn techniques to help relieve the stress of the back muscles. Learn proper techniques of deep breathing, muscle relaxation exercises and meditation.