Neck pain: Treatment of acute pain in neck and shoulders
- 460 views
Neck is a part of the body, which serves to connect the head to the body. Neck — a very vulnerable part of the body that performs a large number of vital functions. The functions of the neck muscles and vertebrae are to ensure maximum mobility of the head.
Acute pain in neck and shoulders
The spinal cord is located in the spinal canal, formed by the seven cervical vertebrae. Between the vertebrae are arranged discs, which are about cervical nerves. The structure includes a neck vein, artery, muscle, trachea, larynx, esophagus, thyroid, and lymph nodes. Diseases that affect certain tissues of the neck can cause acute pain in neck and shoulders.
Cervicalgia is a acute pain in neck and shoulders that does not spread to other parts of the body. If the pain radiates to the arm, it is called cervico- brachialgia.
Neck cross, called tservikago, arises from the compression of the nerve receptors sinuvertebralnogo. Pain most often occur unexpectedly, such as when an awkward movement of his head. For this disease is characterized by acute pain in neck and shoulders, which is becoming stronger, even minor movements of the neck. Such pain may be given to the head (especially the back of the head), or the chest. These feelings cause the shoulder girdle and head to take a forced situation, there is muscle tension neck and thoracic, restriction of mobility in verhnegrudnom and cervical spine and the shoulder joint. The aggravation of the disease usually lasts about 10 days.
Acute pain in neck and shoulders is pain, localized in the cervical region of the spine. Neck pain can be a sign of mechanical damage of the cervical spine. Infrequently such pain indicate the presence of systemic disease. Despite the fact that the intensity of pain can be quite strong, it usually takes 1-2 weeks, but much less often lasts 8-12 weeks. The pain may be localized in the vertebral region, or giving a hand to (radiculopathy).
The most common causes of acute pain in neck and shoulders
- Acute pain in neck and shoulders, most often, is the main complaint of patients. Pain in neck occur in people regardless of gender and age. The most common cause of its occurrence is low back pain or osteoarthritis corresponding spine, or abnormalities in the ligaments of the spine or neck muscles. Often in these diseases is localized pain in the ligaments of the spine, back muscles as well as joints and intervertebral disks.
- The main causes symptoms of acute pain in neck and shoulders — is a low back pain and osteoarthritis of the spine in the neck, property damage ligaments of the spine, or the neck muscles. Each year, the disease called osteoarthritis, is becoming more common. The source of the pain during the flow of osteoarthritis, intervertebral joints are affected by the disease. Changes in the intervertebral joints — this is the reason miofastsinalnoy pain as well as acute torticollis. Also at the bottom of the cervical spine may experience a herniated disc, usually localized in the intervertebral discs C5-C6 and C6-C7.
- Intense acute pain in neck and shoulders, extending to the arm, can be caused by cervical osteochondrosis, tumors of the cervical spine, the effects of trauma, craniospinal anomalies. In addition, acute pain in neck and shoulders can arise due to muscular overstrain, hypothermia (e.g., due to draft), a large physical load, or sleep in an uncomfortable position. In many cases, the pain of their own runs for one or two days. If the pain persists, and the renewed or enhanced — you need to see a specialist immediately.
- Herniated disc often causes pain, localized in the shoulder. Nerve root compression provoking pain in the arm (brachialgia) or shoulder. Hernias can be caused by disturbances in the functioning of the nerve, which include reduction of reflex activity, muscle strength and sensitivity.
- Spinal stenosis leads to compression of the spinal cord, which causes cervical myelopathy. The narrowing of the channel may be due to the bulging disc bulges spinal ligaments, as well as the emergence of bone spikes. Damage to the spinal cord can not be accompanied by pain, but can cause numbness, weakness, and disruption of the functioning of the pelvic organs.
- Muscle spasm often occurs due to sudden rotation of the neck bends, which can occur during traffic accidents. Stiffness and pain can develop over 24-48 hours after injury.
- Systemic disorders that lead to acute pain in neck and shoulders include: rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis (ankylosing spondylitis), polymyalgia rheumatica, infections and tumors. The most common acute pain in neck and shoulders in women .;
- Pain in the lower part of the neck can occur as a consequence of polymyalgia rheumatica, despite the widespread belief that the disease causes only pain in the shoulders.
- Pain across the neck is characteristic of fibromyalgia. Diagnosis of the disease reveals the painful points localized in a certain way. The disease is difficult to treat;
- Acute pain in neck and shoulders also occurs in acute thyroiditis, acute disease that can be purulent, and sometimes occurs in syphilis. Pain is less intense, accompanied by dysphagia and increased thyroid gland, observed during the subacute granulomatous thyroiditis. Also, acute pain in neck and shoulders can be caused by depression;
- Acute pain in neck and shoulders, as well as the difficulty of head movements may result from meningitis, retropharyngeal abscess, subarachnoid hemorrhage, and brain tumors. If there is pain in the front of the neck, you must verify the absence of myocardial infarction and ischemic heart disease, angina.
- Tumors arising in the cervical spine, often turn out to be metastatic. Tumors should be excluded, if the pain is felt for a long time does not pass, day or night. In the event of malignant tumors in the human body, in 5-10% of cases, the place of their localization is the backbone, with 15 percent of the affected cervical it. The most common metastatirovanie spine of breast, prostate, lung, and a little less — melanoma, thyroid cancer, kidney.
- Muscle spasm occurs due to prolonged static exercise (for example, when working at the sewing machine, computer, and so on). Intense acute pain in neck and shoulders may occur after sleeping in an uncomfortable position.
- Most acute pain in neck and shoulders is caused by the fact that a person has for a long time to keep your head in an awkward position. No matter what way of life is a person, you can get rid of these problems by cutting off bad habits, every day doing special exercises for the neck, as well as to create for themselves a comfortable workplace.
When changes occur in the thoracic and cervical spine, there are intense pain in the back of the head, neck. The nature of pain — aching, constant, often worse after prolonged physical exertion, awkward position during the occupation. Often there are vertigo, tinnitus, nausea, pain in the arms, numbness in the fingers. It happens that the pain arises, even in the heart and provoke an uncomfortable posture. In addition, there may be pain localized in the upper abdomen, and the functioning of disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. Many complaints from patients goes to the limited mobility of the neck and the crunch during turns heads. Treatment of acute pain in neck and shoulders pain requires the use of methods of physical and psychological effects, as well as manual therapy.
The causes of acute pain in neck and shoulders in children:
- A common cause of acute pain in neck and shoulders among children is lymphadenitis arising as a complication of tonsillitis.
- When meningitis and other severe infections such as pneumonia, can occur stiff neck. Characterized by acute pain in neck and shoulders for polio — a rare disease in the modern world.
- There are causes of acute pain in neck and shoulders in children is the same as that of the adults: tumors, intracranial hemorrhage, and abscesses. Often children develop acute torticollis. Acute pain in neck and shoulders can occur due to juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.
Other causes of acute pain in neck and shoulders:
- intervertebral discs;
- intervertebral joints (including whiplash);
- ligaments and muscles, including whiplash.
Violations of immunity:
- ankylosing spondylitis;
- rheumatoid arthritis;
- psoriatic arthritis;
- reactive arthritis, and Reiter’s syndrome;
- arthritis, comorbidities intestine;
- polymyalgia rheumatica.
Degenerative diseases of the spine:
- bones: tuberculosis, osteomyelitis;
- other sites: tetanus, acute thyroiditis, polio, herpes zoster, meningismus, meningitis, malaria;
- heart diseases;
- diseases of internal organs;
- diseases of the esophagus;
- intracranial volumetric education;
- lung cancer;
- hemorrhage (e.g., subarachnoid hemorrhage);
Diagnostics acute pain in neck and shoulders
To determine the exact cause of the acute pain in neck and shoulders, you must examined by a specialist. Often used such methods of examination as magnetic resonance and computed tomography and radiography of the spine. The required method of examination determined by the doctor after examining the patient, since the different clinical symptoms require different diagnostic measures.
After carrying out all the necessary examinations, the doctor based on the results obtained, may establish, because of which there was acute pain in neck and shoulders, to determine the severity of the disease and decide on the appropriate treatment.
Treatment acute pain in neck and shoulders in clinic
In clinic conservative treatment of acute pain in neck and shoulders. The treatment is performed on an outpatient basis. Since the treatment is aimed at eliminating the causes of suffering, the patients reported an improvement in the first few days after treatment. It is also not without significance that in the treatment of pain in the neck is preferred non-drug methods.
Typical descriptions of complaints of acute pain in neck and shoulders
- Acute pain in neck and shoulders, head in any direction, either down or up cannot turn. Never lie or sit properly;
- Periodically, a sore neck in the «dock» with the head of the left lower back of the head with a sharp turn to the right and head especially when climbing up;
- Suddenly sick neck. It hurts to rotate forward, backward, to the right — to give back;
- A few months neck hurts when tilted his head back and slightly to the right. When tilted forward, that is what that feeling strained muscles. Side without any problems, and I can turn to look behind him. In principle, I can even do a circle head, because the pain is not severe. But still it bothers me;
- for a week at a computer sitting on a low chair, so that his head was «Zadran ‘up. After this began to feel obscure, dull aching pain at the junction of the head and neck, and nizhnezatylochnoy area radiating to the nose (not always);
- Aching back of the neck. And sometimes the feeling that already numb;