How to stay healthy after an abortion?
- 643 views
Often, women decide on a difficult step in life — do abortion, and some — not once in a lifetime. Later, however many of them there are health problems in the gynecological field and that the saddest thing — infertility. Can I keep the reproductive health of women after an abortion?
This issue was discussed by doctors, Gynecology and Reproduction at the International Forum for Reproductive Medicine in 2016, which recently took place in Kyiv.
How to maintain reproductive health by artificial termination of pregnancy, said Oksana Babenko, PhD, associate professor, obstetrician-gynecologist Medical Center «Mother and Child».
Unfortunately, today there is the problem of unsafe abortion when abortion is performed without a person suitably qualified or in unsanitary conditions or in the presence of these two factors. Unsafe abortion can lead to serious complications, including infertility.
In addition, the risk of dying is 200 times higher after unsafe abortion than after abortion, which carried out the professional in a medical facility.
Methods of abortion
Safety of abortion depends on the method of abortion. After all, the bulk of the complications associated with curettage (surgical abortion or curettage of the uterus) — a method that has long been used in civilized countries. And it is in Ukraine, unfortunately, still being used.
Preferred methods for abortion in the first trimester of pregnancy — a vacuum-regulation and medical abortion. Both of these methods are highly effective and the care of the patient safety. Video: can abortions cause infertility?
The risk of complications of abortion
Induced abortion regardless of its method of facing the risk of various complications.
There is the likelihood of developing various infections, but medical abortion risks are quite low — only 0,09-0,5%, whereas in the surgical abortion (curettage), the figure comes to 5.4%.
After the abortion, as there is a risk that the fertilized egg or its remnants will not be deleted — the so-called incomplete abortion. However, after uterine curettage (curettage), such risks constitute as much as 5%, whereas medical abortion, this figure is much lower — 2.9%.
In addition, there are a number of other types of complications that can occur after surgical abortion — a cervical injury, perforation (damage the integrity of the uterus), complications during intravenous anesthesia, the development of infections and bleeding.
But after medical abortion is low risk of complications, and the list of all of the above is possible only a slight risk of bleeding and the development of infections.
How should be carried out safe abortion?
The gynecologist must perform the following steps:
- The right to determine the time of pregnancy, on which depends the choice of the method of abortion.
- Conduct a bimanual pelvic examination (in early pregnancy is no need for ultrasound study, as it only increases the cost).
- Check the woman’s hemoglobin level (to avoid the risk of anemia).
- Conduct prevention of infection in patients. Antibiotics reduces the risk of infection by as much as 50%.
- Consultation of the patient (a woman chooses a method of abortion and anesthesia).
- Undertake measures for cervical preparation for abortion. To do this, the physician must assign the appropriate preparations.
Advance preparation of the cervix reduces the risk of complications in cases where abortion is done in late pregnancy (more than 9 weeks of pregnancy).
Preparation of the cervix should be carried out if:
— Woman giving birth at term of more than 9 weeks
— A woman under the age of 18 years
— Patient with gestation of 12 completed weeks.
- Immediately before the abortion procedure to conduct local anesthesia. Intravenous anesthesia more risky, and experts do not recommend it to spend.
- After surgical abortion (uterine curettage) a woman can leave the hospital as soon as she is able, and vital body functions are normalized. This method of abortion is necessary to consult a doctor no later than 7-10 days after the patient’s discharge.
But after medical abortion should consult a doctor 10-15 days (to confirm complete abortion and exclusion of infection).
- After any type of abortion, the woman should be observed for some time at the doctor and consult with a specialist on issues of contraception and family planning.
There are intrauterine devices (IUDs) — contraceptives, which are set by a gynecologist. IUD helps prevent unwanted pregnancies.